Thursday, November 13, 2008

CMA Winner - George

I’m not a big television watcher. I have four children who monopolize the TV, plus I have four children. Who has time to watch TV?

But I settled down in front of the big screen, turned on the surround sound and tuned into the Country Music Awards Wednesday night. And there’s the other love of my life – George Strait – on the front row!

First award: Single of the year

Nominees are: George Strait, “I Saw God Today”

And some other artists.

The winner is: George Strait! I’m thinking, this is going to be a great evening.

He wasn’t the big winner of the show but he still made me proud. His album Troubadour, received Album of the Year honors, bringing his total CMA trophies to 22. That makes him the artist with the most CMA Awards in history. Go George!

My friends and family know I’m a George Strait groupie. Have been since before he even made it big.

New country music stars come on the scene – Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney – and I enjoy their music, even buy their CDs. But there is just something special about George.

My children, especially my daughters, love to tease me about my infatuation with the man. So they took advantage of the situation during the CMA broadcast to give me grief all night long. “Look how old George looks, mom. I think he’s had some work done”, insinuating he’s had Botox injections.

Not George. He’s a country music icon. He just keeps getting better with age. He doesn’t need that stuff.

Then, later in the program the girls start in about how it won’t be too long until people will start saying “George Strait? Who’s that?” Not in my lifetime, I assure them.

I was hoping he would change into his Wranglers before he sang on stage. But, instead he kept his suit on, which was a little disappointing. Something else my girls don’t understand. It’s a little hard to explain to a 15 and 11 year old what’ s so special about a pair of good fitting jeans, and still uphold my motherly image.

No comments:

Post a Comment