Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Childhood Ranch Labor

As a child, I grew up on the V8 Ranch, where I spent every single day of my life around the ranch.  From as far back as I can remember, my days would be filling doing things with my mom and dad around the ranch. 

I've carried feed sacks.
I've hauled water buckets. 
I've scooped poop, and cleaned out barns.
I've carried hay bales.
I've worked a gate.
I've worked a pipe.
I've worked a headgate. 
I've gentled calves.
I've helped pull calves.
I've penned cattle.
I've been a "human wall" for sorting cattle more times that I'd prefer. 
I've been so hot during those Texas summers that I sweat through my clothes a few times in one day.
I've been hooked by cows.
I've been run over by a bull.
I've been drug (a few times) by a calf.
I've got stepped on, and had broken bones.

And guess what. 
I loved every minute of it!
 
Like most of my friends, I grew up in the agriculture industry and because of that, I'm the successful adult that I am today. Living and working on a ranch taught me the work ethic that I use every single day of my life...whether I'm at home, at work, or anywhere else for that matter. It gave me the foundation to know that I have enough strength and determination to do anything. It helps me as a mother, a friend, a wife, and a businesswoman.

I know right now there are tons of debates about child farm labor, and I won't pretend to know much about the laws being proposed or the reasons why. 

But one thing I do know, is that living and working on a ranch is the best childhood I could ever imagine, and, I thank the Good Lord that my parents made me let me do this. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the lessons learned - both good and bad - from living and working on V8 Ranch as a child.





No comments:

Post a Comment